The latest JobsOutlook survey, a regular monthly survey of 600 employers by the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC), found that:
- 94% of UK employers are operating with limited capacity to take on more work
- 76% are signalling that economic conditions are improving
- 47% are saying that confidence in hiring and investment decisions are ‘getting better’, businesses are actively looking to take on more staff.
- 80% plan to hire permanent staff in the next three months
- 76% plan to increase headcount in the medium term
REC chief executive Kevin Green says:
“Employers are finding it extremely difficult to fill vacancies and need to find creative solutions to overcome staffing challenges. Pay is on the rise as businesses react to the need to keep hold of the staff they already have. In areas where permanent roles are particularly hard to fill, employers are turning to temporary workers in order to access key strategic skills.”