The Enterprise Network (TEN) “INTEGRATE” event on Thursday 5th November provided a great insight for businesses in Wiltshire about the opportunities afforded by a strong military presence in the county. The talent pool available to the local economy as a result of Army Basing in the county over the coming years is staggering:
- By the year 2000, c.4,300 additional troops will be based in the county as a result of a reduction of forces based in Germany.
- c.3,300 dependents will join the troops relocating to Wiltshire. Many of the spouses will be seeking employment opportunities.
- c.1,000 new homes alongside new schools and other facilities will be built around Larkhill, Bulford, Tidworth and Ludgershall, bringing construction and employment opportunities to the county over the next few years.
- Each year, around 4,000 personnel leave the Military across the South West providing a ready pool of high motivated and trained talent.
The event saw Inspire talk about how their programmes are geared to support Wiltshire businesses exploit the opportunities afforded, whilst former England Rugby International and RAF pilot, Rory Underwood, and Rob Taffinder of Nationwide Building Society shared the merits for employers of employing ex-military personnel. The list of what ex-military personnel bring with them is long, including:
- A strong set of personal values, including respect, integrity and loyalty.
- A reputation for possessing a good work ethic.
- A strong sense of accountability and commitment on delivering on requirements.
- Extensive training and a broad range of transferable skills.
- Budget – many ex-military personnel have access to funds for further training and development for a number of years after they have left the military.
The talent pool available in Wiltshire will be all the richer over the years ahead as a result of the Army Basing and the military personnel transitioning into the civilian world. Is your business geared up to benefit from this?